Raising funds for sailing programmes in affected by Hurricane Irma
This weekend, the sailing world will once again unite in memory of sailor Andrew ‘Bart’ Simpson under the global umbrella event title, ‘Bart’s Bash’. It is already designated as The World’s Largest Sailing Event having achieved a Guinness World Record in 2014 when it was first staged.
This year, the fourth Bart’s Bash, there are 589 venues from across 79 countries signed up to take part in this extraordinary participation and fundraising event for the Andrew Simpson Foundation.
The Andrew Simpson Foundation continues to promote the sport and all the benefits it brings to people of all abilities. A number of Islands in the Caribbean affected by Hurricane Irma have taken part in Bart’s Bash in previous years and were due to take part in 2017. In light of recent events, the Andrew Simpson Foundation has pledged to use the funds raised from this year’s Bart’s Bash to help those affected rebuild their community sailing projects, allowing them to continue to deliver grassroots sailing to programmes young people.
Weymouth & Portland National Sailing Academy (WPNSA)
Portland DT5 1SA
We have a limited number of places available on a RIB to enable a film crew/photographers to get up close & personal with the action!
Call Amy or Peta ASAP to book your space.
IAIN PERCY COMES TO TOWN!
After spending a year away in Bermuda for the America’s Cup, high profiled sailor, Iain Percy will join his friends and family at the WPNSA where he spent many years training for his Olympic campaigns with Bart. Iain will be sailing his Bart’s Bash in the Star boat in which he competed in the first Bart’s Bash in 2014 with Andrew’s eldest son, Freddie Simpson.
- The Competitor’s briefing will take place in Spinnakers at the WPNSA at 11:30
- The warning signal for the Bart’s Bash race on Saturday 16th September is scheduled for 12:55
Additional top flight sailors competing in Bart’s Bash on Saturday at the WPNSA are:
- Dylan Fletcher & Stuart Bithell– British Sailing Team – 49er World Champions & both sailing International Foiling Moths for Bart’s Bash
- John Gimson & Anna Burnet– British Sailing Team – Foiling Nacra 17
- Giles Scott Olympic Gold Medallist & British America’s Cup sailor
A few examples of Bart’s Bash activity around our coastline and beyond:
- Chew Valley SC, near Bristol – Celebrating 50 years of the sailing club
- Brading Haven Yacht Club (BHYC) – Bembridge, IOW. Members are on board Red Funnel car ferry crossings between Southampton & the Isle of Wight – Fundraising activity
- Burghfield SC – inland lake/Kennet Valley– aiming to top the Bashboard!
- Cowes Paper Boat Club – Just for fun for those who can’t get on the water. Launching from the the Little Gloster
- Ripon Sailing Club – party on Saturday night before racing their Bart’s Bash on Sunday Sept 17th
- Etchells World Championships – TBC
- Queensmead SC and HOAC (Hillingdon Outdoor Activities Centre) have funded a trophy which will be awarded to the winner of their Bart’s Bash event on Sept 17th
- Parkstone YC – Iain Percy attending a Bart’s Bash fundraising shindig on Sept 16th
- J/70 World Championships, Porto Cervo – ASF Ambassador & Olympic Gold Medallist Hannah Mills is supporting Bart’s Bash at the J/70 Worlds
The media team will be receiving news, images, video clips etc from around the world over the course of the weekend and will share relevant material accordingly.
more info …. bartsbash.com
HOW TO DONATE – PLEASE SHARE THROUGH YOUR MEDIA OUTLETS!
An easy way of helping support Andrew ‘Bart’ Simpson’s legacy is TEXT TO DONATE (any time/any amount of money from a fiver upwards!) e.g.: BART17 £5 to 70070
by Amy Harvey
Mob: +44 (0) 7554 968968
& Peta Stuart-Hunt
Mob: +44 (0) 7711 477707